Wednesday, August 08, 2012

More details about Hell broke Luce video

From the press release concerning the release of the Hell broke Luce video:
As most of you guessed, it's a tour...a tour de force! 
Matt Mahurin has created an apocalyptic war dream to accompany the song HELL BROKE LUCE. Kathleen and I envisioned it as an enlightened drill sergeant yelling the hard truths of war to a brand new batch of recruits. The video grew from the gnawing image of a soldier pulling his home, through a battlefield, at the end of a rope.
I think you will agree, it's uplifting and fun.
American illustrator, photographer and film director Matt Mahurin has directed video's for the likes of Peter Gabriel, Def Leppard, Queensryche, U2, Metallica and many more. He also directed video's for Tom Waits' Hold on and What's he building in there.


Hold on

 

What's he building in there

9 comments:

twnorman said...

Great video but I still want to hear that he his going to go on tour.

ab said...

sad to say this is the first time i've been truly disappointed by tw in 27 years.
good video. not the best song on the album.
i could accept a tour of america only, or even australia. (i'm lucky and saw him in the uk last tour).but hype over a video is a wierd sort of letdown. hopefully there is more to come.

goodnitesteve said...

I agree sir! Too much hype for a video.

tafetiju said...

All of Tom's videos are very simplistic, IMHO. They just look so low budget--Hold On and Satisfaction, in particular. This one is not much better. And why would someone release a video for a song from an album that came out a year ago? It would be better to think that one should want to capitalize on the momentum of the album's sales--release the videos when the album is released, and then tour afterwards to promote the album and capture the excitement (and sales--OK, it's a business) of the people who liked the album. Just saying.

falamingo said...

It's got to be an album or a tour. There is such a strong concept behind all those nautically themed clues that it is too much to think that they just mean 'something fishy'. They've got very little to do with either the song or the video of Hell Broke Luce. I'm crossing my fingers.

Unknown said...

I never made a video (and I didn´t watch this one because it is not possible here in Germany). But I think it is quite an effort to produce one. And if I would be an artist who did this effort - and afterwards almost all of my fans would blame me for having announced it (and not publishing something else, they wanted me to), I would be quite pissed off!!! And my motivation to go on tour would at least not become more.
Being disappointed and shouting it out in the web are two things.
Just think about it...

St Stewart said...

I think it and the campaign behind it are fantastic. People sat up and paid attention. Would that such a thing could happen more often.

derquerulant said...

so do I understand this right ... people are complaining that TW doesn't behave like a media whore ? I mean we're talking about Tom Waits here ... of course a tour would be nice, but hey ...

drshakedown said...

I heard he is going to tour this year.